Saturday, March 19, 2011

vernal verde

{Edited to add LOTS of links to the vest pattern, since some of you are having a hard time finding it. Save yourself some trouble and visit the Vernal Verde Vest pattern in Google Docs now.}

I finished the vest I knitted for Kidoodle! The pattern is posted here in Google Docs and here on Ravelry (which will ultimately take you back to Google Docs).


After running out of yarn for the ginormous Tomten jacket I was knitting him, this vest has been a relief. I've never knit a sweater or a vest before. Let me just tell you that designing my own pattern for a garment I've never knitted before was quite a process!

I knew I wanted a diagonal rib pattern for the vest, a pattern I find masculine and slick. I wanted a toddler sized vest that would fit him now and next year. I also knew I wanted to use worsted weight yarn for a quicker knit. So I pulled out three skeins of Bamboo Ewe from my stash and set to work.


I used a 1989 edition of The Ultimate Knitting Book by Vogue Knitting, a knitting instruction book I scored for $1 or $2 at a library book sale, to figure out how to calculate gauge, neck and armhole design, number of stitches to pick up, etc. Usually the calculations took me about twice as long as the actual knitting, but I really enjoyed scribbling on sheets of paper and relearning simple algebra. :)

Vernal Verde fits Kidoodle wonderfully. I'll dress him in it for church tomorrow--assuming it isn't a sweltering 75 degrees again!--and take plenty of pics then. Pics today will have to wait, because Kidoodle has outgrown his joy over trying on the things I am knitting. Perhaps the overload of constantly fitting a vest of my own design is the cause of his new attitude. For now, I'll contentedly assault beguile you with pictures of the vest on its own.

7 pennies:

VeganCraftastic said...

What an adorable little vest!

Deanna said...

SO cute! I love it. You are too talented!

Martha said...

I do not need a penny but I should pay you many pennies for designing this unique and 'handsome' (male descriptor) vest pattern! Do you have it large enough for a 4yo and a 7yo ;#.
x0x0 A M

Vicki Designs (Schnorkiemom) said...

Ilove this vest! Great job on the design. I can't find the pattern though. Every link leads me back to the blog but, I can't find a patttern download link. Help?

Vicki Designs (Schnorkiemom) said...

Thanks for visiting my blog and thanks for the info. I did find it finally yesterday. It didn't look like a link on my computer, but I clicked the word anyway and there it was! Thanks so much for sharing.

Sara said...

How big of measurements does this end up being? I want to try and modify it for a friend (adult, haha). Thanks!

Ammie Cannon said...

Hi Sara,

The vest is currently 25" chest circumference, 14" long from top to bottom, and 9-1/4" long from underarm to bottom. It seems to have grown a bit wider as I've washed and blocked it. The neck opening is designed proportionately larger to accommodate a child's head. I think the diagonal stitch pattern should be pretty easy to add to an existing adult pattern. Good luck with your mods!

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com : Header Image by Everydaypants
Sponsored by Free Web Space